David Ferguson works with Foreman Law’s nonprofit clients by helping them navigate the unique opportunities and challenges they face to enable them to do more good.
Leveraging his specialized professional background and education in the law and practical operation and governance of nonprofit organizations, David represents nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations spanning the breadth of the charitable arena, including religious organizations, health care organizations, educational institutions, economic development organizations, social justice organizations, and business leagues in a wide range of tax, transactional, corporate, governance, and fiduciary matters. David assists nonprofit clients will all manner of exemption issues including formation (state entity creation and federal exemption filings (Forms 1023, 1023-EZ, 1024, and 1024-A)), mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation, unrelated business taxable income, board governance matters, securing and preserving group rulings, private foundation and private operating foundation matters (including formation, board governance, grant making, and excise tax compliance), Kansas state sales and property tax exemption analyses and filings, tax controversy matters before the Kansas Department of Revenue and the IRS (including audits and payroll tax issues), and dissolutions.
In addition to his nonprofit practice, David has extensively represented for-profit clients in all aspects of corporate and tax matters, including entity formations, mergers and acquisitions, board governance matters, dissolutions, and federal, state, and local tax issues.
Beyond his private practice, David has published a number of articles on both tax and corporate governance matters, served on numerous nonprofit boards, and been a regular panelist, speaker, and presenter on nonprofit, corporate, and state and federal tax matters for organizations such as the Kansas Nonprofit Chamber, Wichita State University, the Wichita Bar Association, NXTUS, Inc., and Groover Labs.
- Camp Destination Innovation, Board Member
- Friends University, Division of Business Advisory Board, Board Member
- Religion Law Section of the Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Kansas Bar Association, Member
- Wichita Bar Association, Member
- Mid-Kansas Jewish Federation, Former Board Member
- Law Clerk, Hon. Robert D. Martin, United States Bankruptcy Court, Western District of Wisconsin, 2015-2016
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Jeffrey Cole, United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois, 2015
- Columbia University in the City of New York, MS, Nonprofit Management, 2023 (Expected)
- Northwestern University School of Law, Master of Laws (LLM), Taxation (Joint JD/LLM Tax Program) 2015
- University of Missouri School of Law, JD, (cum laude) 2015
- Wichita State University, MA, History, (magna cum laude) 2012
- Kansas State University, BA, History, 2008